Saturday, January 3, 2009

Modeling my Little Brother!!

Well, I am making this blog to follow my progress as I learn how to rig a character model. It's for me to look back on as well as others to maybe use as a tool if you get stuck at a point that I have covered.

Little about me to start with. I am a senior at The Art Institute of Las Vegas, studying Media Arts and Animation. I just finished a class in character modeling and start one in character rigging in a week. I didnt actually come out of the modeling class with a useful character so I decided to make one during my 3 week break between quarters. My little brother very nicely (bribed with skittles) posed for my character. I am trying to do a sports themed demo reel and he is the perfect size to be a teenage snowboarded/basketball player/baseball/skateboarder/etc. So I am modeling him over the next week and then hope to begin rigging him when class starts.

I started by taking pictures of him from all angles (which I wont post because he doesnt want me to, but I will show one when done) and then used a generic "half body" we made in my modeling class. (see post below [will be added shortly]) I find its a great foundation to get started. It has a complete hand as well since I do not really want to do the finger nails and such over and over :)

I took the pictures and scaled a front and side pose in Photoshop to the exact same size. Then imported them into Maya as Image Planes. I began by manipulating the generic body I had to fit my Brothers a little better. Its not too far along yet but I will be spending quite a few hours on it tonight before bed. I will log on and post a picture of it at that point or tomarrow. I also want to begin his face. I only know to start the face as a square polygon and do some extruding. I hope thats the best way to go about it because I want this model to really look good.

I am off to model some.

-Anna

(my handsome little brother!)

No comments:

Post a Comment